welding a diff

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by 200 SX Freak, Sep 22, 2005.

1. 200 SX Freak

200 SX Freak New Member

Hi mates,

Can someone explain to me what must be welded inside the diff?? Would be nice if there were some nice pictures :thumbs:

cheers JJ

2. MJG

MJG Active Member

welded diff pics and brief description. I was going to put them in a previous post but this seems better....

This is my ex-open diff from my sierra, got it TIG welded by a welding instructor at work. before the welding, you would have been able to see holes in the middle of the left and right cog with splines to let the driveshafts in, take care not to weld over these holes because you wont get your driveshafts in!

where the gears mesh in each corner there was 2 or 3 contacting points between the teeth so he managed to weld up each one and then build up a seriously strong joint at each corner. to make doubley sure we cut a plate to fit the square gap inbetween the cogs, one of these each side to balance it out, and make sure you leave enough gap between the 2 plates (if you choose to put them in) to let the ends of your driveshafts stick through. although you will find there is a steel bar that joins the top and bottom cogs together which will give you your spacing (or it did on mine anyway).

hope these help, and if anyone wants any more info either i or someone else can use these pics to help describe what to do.

oh and make sure you clean out all the oil, i used white spirit then petrol :wack: :smash: but it was left for about 2 months before being welded so it was fully clean. and beware of excess heat build up because you can take the hardness out of the gears or even crack them (not to mention the bearings that are in close proximity).

:D:D good luck everybody

weldeddiff2.
    weldeddiff1.

#2 MJG, Sep 22, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  3. 200 SX Freak

200 SX Freak New Member

cheers mate good picture. Hopes the guy thats going to weld my diff gets the pictures correct :p