Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDFs in Word Docs..

Options
  • 03-10-2005 11:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Another Microsoft Innovation
    Microsoft Office - file save as pdf.
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2005/oct05/10-02OfficePDF.mspx
    Every month we receive over 120,000 queries worldwide for “PDF” through Microsoft Office Online.
    Note: You will have to wait until Office 12 is released and you will have to purchase it then.

In the meantime there are free alternatives that have been around for yonks
    www.openoffice.org - file save as ( word/excel/ppt docs )
    pdfcreator / pdf995 - file print ( any app including older versions of word )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hmmm... Well, I think you can do this in Openoffice as well, but will you be able to _open_ a PDF document in Word. I doubt it, but here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"Yesterday's technology, tomorrow!" (R)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

o_O
    i'm seeing double..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Interesting that there was no mention of XPS/"Metro" in there - Microsoft's proposed XML-based competitor to PDF that they were/are jointly developing with Global Graphics. Then again perhaps it's one of those touted new Vista features that they've decided to quietly drop. They were going to ask for extra money for it in any case so it probably doesn't really matter either way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the_syco wrote:
    Hmmm... Well, I think you can do this in Openoffice as well, but will you be able to _open_ a PDF document in Word. I doubt it, but here's hoping.
    If you mean a protected document then the answer is no. If you mean an unprotected document the answer is I doubt it. Don't forget they still havent fully sorted out .PNG graphics images.

If you have Office 2003 you can print screen the doc or better still use pdfcreator to print it to a multipage TIFF and then OCR it with Microsoft Office Document Imaging

Funny when you find a microsoft app you respect it always seems to have been written by someone else - another M$InnovationTM
    Portions of Microsoft Document Imaging and Microsoft Office Document Scanning were licensed from ScanSoft, Inc, TextBridge(R) OCR Copyright(c) 1999 ScanSoft, Inc. All rights rserved.

TH-OCE Copyright(c)2000-2002 by Bejing Tsinghua Unisplendour Wintone Information and Technology Corporation, Ltd. and ScanSoft, Inc. All rights reserved.

The licensed technology includes the OCR (Optical Character Recognition) engine and the supporting language dictionaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

And from the Adobe Reader about box:
    Portions utilize Microsoft Windows Media Technologies. Copyright © 1999-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

;)

Advertisement