Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Jason Reitman)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Was that a dubstep remix of the theme song during the car chase? 😲

I saw the A-Team in the cinema and the audience were whooping and laughing out loud in a very over the top way. I can imagine seeing it in New York at a comic convention would be similar, but you can't really blame a movie for elucidating that reaction. I did find that reaction at The A-team cringey, but I enjoyed the movie.

I think that response from viewers when seeing the preview of GB did irk that Guardian reviewer, but if it did, he is the wrong kind of reviewer for these kinds of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

It wasn't so much a review of GB: AfterLife as it was a hissyfit at the fact that everybody hates the 2016 pile of shite, and the new film is looking to cater to the original fans of the franchise.

Nicely analyzed. I am definitely in that category, e.g. hated the 2016 and still love the 1094 movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

This looks like Winston Zeddemore to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,073 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My brother and a couple of others from my company saw this a few weeks ago - said it is absolutely superb. Wouldn't think of brining his 5 year old to it, too scary for him in his opinion, but said it is probably his favourite movie this year.

Ernie Hudson said in an interview recently that "he'd be honoured to be in an 4th one" and confirmed that they are in the early stages of writing one.

Doesn't mean it will happen but ya know yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Friend of mine watched it yesterday. Spoiler free review, his words.

"Ghostbusters Nostalgia special! Is it any good? Well, ehhhhhhh, better than I expected. Some lols. 2 hour runtime but didn't feel it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Slightly OT but I saw the Ms. Ghostbusters movie the other day and it's nowhere near as bad as reported/expected. It's not amazing, but I wouldn't have said it's much worse than Ghostbusters 2; few laughs, & a similar silly vibe to the originals (which this new one doesn't seem to have from the trailer, though some of that may be the non-NY setting).

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

"This is it, this is definitely it ..."

"Hey, have you missed us?" 😭😭

No, YOU are crying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

"Chewie, we're home.." How'd that work out for ya? Beware the 'memberberries, to dissapointment that path leads.

Perhaps I just have a heart of stone. Also, why do the ghosts look like absolute $h1t in all these trailers? For some bizarre reason both this and the 2016 version somehow managed to make the ghost effects from 1984 look superior. They seem kind of opaque and an action scene involving ghosts in very bright daylight just feels off.

Yea I kinda agree, the ghosts out in the day light does feel off but has kinda grown on me over the trailers. Its no New York for sure.

In fairness, the Chewie line did work for me in that one movie but the return of the character disappointed me overall the trilogy.

Hopefully, this works out better though as the director is a genuine fan with a major connection to the original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd have to click back but I'm fairly sure I was quite enthused about this at the start; the idea of meshing Ghostbusters with "kids solve mysteries in Small Town America" gelled with me. But the more I've read and seen, especially in regards just how deferential it looks to the original film - down to returning villains and iconography 'n all - has cooled that energy a little. Not to the extent that I'm suddenly against the film, but a bit disappointed just how much of a nostalgic handjob it appears to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wonder if it’s a combination of higher definition screens and pandering to a younger audience.

That being said all the bite size teasers are all tailored for the nostalgia factor. 🙈

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So far the letterboxd reviews on this in my feed are all over the place. 4 stars and 1 stars very little consensus thus far, definitely looks to be one that'll divide opinion.

• Advertisement

some reviewers are seeing the fan service to the old movies as a bad thing , i can't wait

Fan service is like dessert, as I see it; nice as a treat & surprise, but you wouldn't want a whole meal made of cake either. And the time you try that, you quickly hit a wall of sugar. My worry is the fan service has overpowered the intention to write a good story, and characters within.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tickets booked for Friday night. Looking forward to it :D

saw it and loved it , complete love letter to the original movie . make sure you stay till the very end of the credits are as there are extra bits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Fan reviews that I've seen seem mainly positive, complete nostalgiafest but after the hammering the last version got not really surprising. Will definitely go to see it in the cinema. The original is probably my first cinema memory and having the shite scared out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Remember the cards bit in the original movie, he shocks the dudes despite them even getting it correct and leaves the girls pretty much off the hook when they get it wrong well it was a take on that with Bill Murray and Sigourney Weaver.

We stayed when Sigourneys name came up and were thinking hang on where was she in it and scene started seconds later and low and behold...

Pretty sure Sigourney Weaver was in an after credits scene in the 2016 yolk too actually iirc.

Post edited by Wrongway1985 on

I thought it was fine, worth a look but likely won't revisit sort of job.

Pure nostalgia trip as told, the mini mallows seemed to come out of nowhere without much reasoning, very much out of place as entertaining as it sorta was.

• Advertisement

Believed he just meant before the after credits scene.

Advertisement