Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

What is the latest version of software for this box?, I think I have 6.1. Is there a Sky skin also?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Think Atv has 6.4 or 6.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Yes its 6.4 and can be found HERE

Remember to back up settings etc !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Payton wrote: »
    What is the latest version of software for this box?, I think I have 6.1. Is there a Sky skin also?

I would be very wary about moving to OpenATV 6.4, without having a very good reason to do so. There is no additional functionality, that I know of, and a real possibility of instability. The Tiviar Alpha+ is not a prime target of any build and I suspect that testing is limited.

I moved to OpenATV 6.3, once a stable version was available. It gave lots of problems and I rolled back to OpenATV 6.1. I only went back to OpenATV 6.3 earlier this year. I only moved because it had improved EPG capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Thanks for the advise guys.
    Is there a download for skins as I'd like to change to a Sky type look and a change of picons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

using a sky skin can cause more trouble than its worth but KIDDAC skins is what yu want. go to lhttps://www.linuxsat-support.com/. its all there.

here is kiddac skin but you have to read a bit. this is the one i like but not in a tiviar.

https://www.linuxsat-support.com/thread/133484-updated-slyk-1080-r19-install-faqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Payton wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise guys.
    Is there a download for skins as I'd like to change to a Sky type look and a change of picons?

There is a 'Sky Type' skin but I haven't used it. AFAIK it can't be downloaded from the feeds, most likely due to copyright issues. There are also reports that it can cause stability issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

So I have the Tiviar's Samba Setup set at Autostart:Enables; and Current Status:Running. I am running Windows 10. I turned on Network Discovery, and Turned on File and Print Sharing
    I try to Map a Network drive Z: to 192.168.1.186, hit Browse, another window comes up giving me my laptop computer name, and the TIVIARAPLUS item. When I click on TIVIARAPLUS item, the system asks me for a User Name and Password.
    I entered my Microsoft Username and Password, or, My Laptop's Username and Password, but it says either 1-Invalid Username and/or Password, or, 2-Access Denied. Needless to say, I need your help please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

So I have the Tiviar's Samba Setup set at Autostart:Enables; and Current Status:Running. I am running Windows 10. I turned on Network Discovery, and Turned on File and Print Sharing
    I try to Map a Network drive Z: to 192.168.1.186, hit Browse, another window comes up giving me my laptop computer name, and the TIVIARAPLUS item. When I click on TIVIARAPLUS item, the system asks me for a User Name and Password.
    I entered my Microsoft Username and Password, or, My Laptop's Username and Password, but it says either 1-Invalid Username and/or Password, or, 2-Access Denied. Needless to say, I need your help please.

The box is looking for a user name and password. If you haven't already done so, go into the box network settings menu and set a password. Reboot the box for it to take effect. The username is "root". AFAIK you cannot leave the password blank.
    EDIT:- be careful using this method as it gives you full access to the inner workings of the box. If you simply want to access/download recordings I would recommend using WEBIF instead.

Thanks Gerry - worked grand.

• Advertisement

I need a bit of help in getting my picons to appear in the EPG etc.
    I'm running OPENATV 6.4. I initialized a USB stick with the box, got the \media\usb path going, and then I create a Picon folder across the network and emptied the picon.png files into it.
    Then I config the EPG "Channel Title format field" to "Channel Picon and name" but when I return to the EPG, the picon images are missing.
    If I configure the "Channel title format" to "Picon Only" in the menu, then return to the EPG I get a blank column in the left column where the Picon images only should be.
    I rebooted the box, but same story. It had me wondering then, how the system knows it should pick up the picon files in the \media\usb\picon folder if it's not deliberately programmed told to do so....? Any ideas?

Have you followed the guides in the first lot of posts for picons,i dont use them so cannot say.

Yes, that's where I got my setup info from that I described in the top lines of my post above. The box sees my USB and all, but trying to see how I can let the box know that there's now a \media\usb\picon folder in the USB drive, so it can read the .png files from it

what skin are you using? And have you view mode set to graphics?

I am using the slyk-1080-r19 skin ..... when I'm in EPG and hit menu, the Layout indicated Graphics. Even if I try the slky-q-1080 skin, the GUI is different, but he picons still do not appear. Is the box supposed to look in the USB Picon folder anyway without deliberately telling it to look there for picons?

hang fire for a bit, I have that skin on a box, will have a look and report back.

I checked and with that skin no picons but its not in the tiviar. The tiviar is fine but using metrix hd skin. I cant mess with box that has sky skin and when I set it up they did not want picons.

I have a few recordings coming up. so I'll try 2mora morning and see if it works with the Metrix HD skin.

NO, I chaged the skin to Metrix HD, but still no picons.

Can you ftb into box and look at the attributes/rights on the picon folder. Mine are at 0775. Or move them to the HDD. I use picons from the high horse brigade image.

look here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057827739&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Sorry, it's probably been covered before but I can't find it.
    Trying setup my new box but I can't seem to change the extents of the screen. It cuts off the top bottom and sides, I've tried changing it on my TV settings but that doesn't make it any better, it must need to be changed on the Tiviar settings, but I can't even read them because they are cut off. Can anyone help me please.

• Advertisement

User interface adjusts picture to fit screen --User interface-Skin setup -Osd and adjust and save.

swoofer wrote: »
    Can you ftb into box and look at the attributes/rights on the picon folder. Mine are at 0775. Or move them to the HDD. I use picons from the high horse brigade image.

look here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057827739&page=3

Swoofer - I assume I create a Picon folder on the HDD under \media\hdd??? Before I do that, I am ftp'd into the Tiviar, but I haven't a clue on how to, or what command I use to look at the attributes or rights on the Picon folder. Can you help me plz?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Swoofer - I assume I create a Picon folder on the HDD under \media\hdd??? Before I do that, I am ftp'd into the Tiviar, but I haven't a clue on how to, or what command I use to look at the attributes or rights on the Picon folder. Can you help me plz?

I was having similar trouble with a USB stick ahat only worked now and again. I put the 'picon' folder straight into the HDD and never had a bother after. It just worked. I gave nights looking for how to point the box in the direction of the USB but never found it.

With many e2 boxes its known that some have issues with usb sticks and to try another one.

What I did just now to see if picons work with that slyk skin was move picon folder from a box hdd with vix image to box with slyk skin hdd and bingo it worked. So it would appear those skins wont look on a USB. I did a restart as well.

I got the picons to work - how I don't know! I didn't do anything different than before except delete the picon directory and reinstall the filesim the same place. (I hate it when that happens)! I have the files under \root\hdd\picon. Onwe of trhe fiels that I am missing is the .png for the HGTV channel... I looked in the NewClareaman's and THHB's downloads but it doesn't appear to be there?

The high horse brigade - do you have an updated copy of your image that you can share?

I downloaded a copy of NewClareman's 6.3 build. I'm sure the build is perfect, but I cannot get tuner C to see any signals.
    I have a 2nd working Tiviar box (build 6.4), so I've set the 6.3 Tuner C settings identical to the 6.4 box.
    One of the differences I notice on the working 6.4 box, is I am able to select the Country as Ireland and Region as Dublin (Primary Tx), (Three Rock, Europe DVB-T) for Tuner C. However, on the 6.3 box, I am only able to set the Country as ALL, and I'm not able to select an appropriate Region for where I'm living in Co. Meath.

One other thing I noticed as well is on the 6.4 build, there are 4 files (Imageversion; Kernel.bin; Noforce; and Rooffs.bin. On your 6.3 build, there are just 3 files in the .zip - Noforce is missing.
    I'm sure it's my ignorance, but I'd sure appreciate a little direction to get it all up and running. Thx

Should be able to adjust settings via < or >

my one is 3 rock

Make sure it is set to T not C.

Sorry for delay .... per the attached screen shot,
    I set the Tuner C "Tuner Type" and set it to DVB-T2 (the other choice was DVB-C)
    I set the Configuration Mode to "Enabled)
    I could not set the Country to anything else only "All". Pressing the <> buttons had no effect
    Same issue for the Region - the only choice it gave me for Region was "My local region (Europe DVB-T/T2)"

So Tuner C is not able see any channels.
    When I go to Signal Finder, Tuner A and Tuner B have SNR and AGC up on the 70-90% marks, but there is no signal 0% (SNR) or (AGC) on Tuner C.
    Tte aerial has a signal on it because if I connect direct to the TV's aerial input, I get a clean picture on all Saorview channels.
    I'm just trying to avoid trying another 6.3 or 6.4 image on it ---- if I have to, I have to. Any other ideas?

• Advertisement

Hard to read it But its not set for Ireland as using < or > buttons for changing.

+ region locality is not set also by < and > button and green to save.

Strange why you cant use the < or > buttons does yellow button do anything?

Advertisement