AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curipera Cross - Info, Pictures, Details, Etc?

Real Name
    Phil

Default Curipera Cross - Info, Pictures, Details, Etc?

In the last 2 months we have seen Kenny and Chicago selling a varation of this strain labeled Curipera Cross. I was drawn to them in Kenny's shipment last month but did not have the set-up[, space and funds to grab them. When I saw the ladies of Chicago with them this month I patiently waited for pictures and info. I wanted to add 2 new guys to my set-up and I have been so drawn and intrigued by this strain. Once I saw the stunning pictures Miranda posted, I had to jump on them and have a few for myself.

My reason for this post is I have not been able to find much info, pictures or feedback on this strain. I was hoping to have some friendly banter and chat here with those who know of this strain, have them, want them or have any input or pictures to share. I know they seem to change colors like I hope most of us change underpants So I was hoping that the customers who purchased them from Kenny could give their thoughts so far and share some pics... I was also hoping maybe Miss Wild Herself Pat could chime in. I was wondering Pat are these like knock-off wilds? Should I feel like one of the NY ladies who grabes a counterfit Gucci bag on Canal street with these Shhhh no one will know! Hahaha

Anyway, just hoping to get some more info and chat about the strain... Thanks in advance for any input!

Phillydubs

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Curipera Cross - Info, Pictures, Details, Etc?

The word "cross" tells you it is not a strain but a cross. Most likely a wild x domestic cross.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Where van we see the pics from miranda

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I myself have wondered about the cross that has recently become popular. IMO it is a way for people to get the wild look but get tank raised fish. They are beautiful. The blue on their face makes me think they are crossed with a Red or blue turquoise. But then they have so much red, it looks like there is a red cover in their lineage somewhere too. This ofcourse is my guess, and a wild guess at that. a cupiera crossed with a domestic turq/redcover cross.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Where van we see the pics from miranda
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Shipment/page2
    Post # 27

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hey Phillydubs, I suspect Rick is correct about this being a wild x domestic cross and I can only talk about the wild part. The Cuipeua is a wild "red based" discus from the Alenquer region of the Amazon (Mark, please correct if I am wrong). The wild Cuipeua is highly desired by wilds keepers for it's shape and color.

To my knowledge only two of the three major wild exporters collected Cuipeua this past wilds season.; WBSabby and Santarem Discus. Mark of Discus Origins imports directly from WBSabby and I am lucky to have a group of seven Cuipeua. With wild fish it is generally accepted that the more striated the fish the more likely it is a male and the more solid fish are more likely female.

A few pictures of wild Cuipeua

Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Phil

Lovely pictures pat! Do you notice that they have or will become darker and more red as they grow and mature?

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology, I know it is a cross, not a strain, my fault on that...

I suppose whoever is breeding them would know best their origin and what makes up the cross portion. I suppose it is quite possible that each breeder is crossing with something different based on their predicted outcome. I sure hope we get to hear some current owners of these interesting discus chime in with their experience and some pictures!

Real Name
    Rick

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...light=Curipera

Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I just wish one (or better all of you), would use the correct location name for this so called "Curipera" - it is called

CUIPEUÁ

there is no such location or name as Curipera in that region where they come from. Have a look under my biotoper decoration Lago Cuipeuá:
    http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/inde...=251&Itemid=64

best regrads

Heiko Bleher
    www.aquapress-bleher.com
    In other words, the curipera cross you now posses could be just about anything. Could be an F1 crossing between a Cuipeua and a Rose red, or an f3 version off any combination of sorts. Enjoy it for what it is, a nice fish.

I do wish however when breeders choose to market their fish as such (aka xxxxx cross) they would inform us of what the cross was too?
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 04-08-2015 at 04:01 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Lovely pictures pat! Do you notice that they have or will become darker and more red as they grow and mature?

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology, I know it is a cross, not a strain, my fault on that...

I suppose whoever is breeding them would know best their origin and what makes up the cross portion. I suppose it is quite possible that each breeder is crossing with something different based on their predicted outcome. I sure hope we get to hear some current owners of these interesting discus chime in with their experience and some pictures!
    As the wild fish settle they just become more beautiful and yes, they can become more red over time. Especially the females and really become red in spawning mode.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...light=Curipera

Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I just wish one (or better all of you), would use the correct location name for this so called "Curipera" - it is called

CUIPEUÁ

there is no such location or name as Curipera in that region where they come from. Have a look under my biotoper decoration Lago Cuipeuá:
    http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/inde...=251&Itemid=64

best regrads

Heiko Bleher
    www.aquapress-bleher.com

The old spelling dies hard.

Real Name
    Phil

Yea, it would be nice if they did that Mud. I actually asked Miranda if she could reach out to Lawrence to see if he had any further info. It doesn't matter to me one way or another, I have them, I am enjoying them and they are very unique to me but always fun to learn and pick the brains of those here...

Maybe Kenny or Forrest can shed some light here, at least on their end and the ones they have had for sale...

Miranda told me to be patient! It took her some time for them to color up and show the colors she was able to capture in her pictures. So I am sitting back and awaiting these beauties to flourish~!

Real Name
    Ricardo

In the past I have asked Kenny to ask Forrest what went in to a domestic cross I had purchased from them. He told me back then but I forgot now. You can always ask the supplier directly. Lawrence has an account here as well if you would like to ask him

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I have to admit these Cuipeua Crosses are very appealing, I really like them

Real Name
    Pat

This is one of the early Cuipeua crosses I got from Kenny about three years ago. Stunning fish.

Real Name
    Rick

I had some of those as well.......

cur1.jpg

curip.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Phil

Wow gorgeous guys! Those look very different and much more toward the wild side if you ask me. The two I have and the ones ice seen lately seem to be more blue/red towards the domestic side

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast